Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Gluten Free?

Yikes, my first attempt at gluten free bread.


It looks good, doesn't it? It actually turned out a nice light and fluffy bread that wasn't dry at all. I got the recipe from www.food.com. It's my go-to site when looking for recipes.

Check out the recipe here. It's actually for a bread machine but I made mine by hand. The dough was quite soft and I was a bit worried about it until it baked up.

I did have to go out and buy most of the ingredients as I didn't have tapioca flour, white rice flour, or xanthan gum in the pantry. The only truly expensive item was the xanthan gum but the recipe didn't call for very much so I think all in, it was about $1.50 for the loaf. Obviously quite a bit more than a traditional loaf of bread (for the regular bakers out there). I got the flours and xanthan gum at Winco but they didn't carry potato starch so had to run over to Bob's Red Mill for that. Once there, I realized their bulk item prices were almost the same as Winco. I would definitely get everything at Bob's if I decide to make more.

While the texture looks lovely, I'm more of a whole wheat bread kind of gal so it was actually a bit too light and fluffy for me. It also had a 'different' flavor. I made the loaf more out of curiosity than out of necessity. I think if I had a wheat allergy I could get used to it as a substitute for regular bread. As it is, some peanut butter and jelly with the bread made a pretty good lunch.

In the meantime, some cold cuts, pickles, cheese, and mustard go quite well with the bread. Especially when I put it in the Panini press to make a Cuban sandwich. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment