Wednesday, July 31, 2013

July FoSaP - Steampunk Picnic

According to the Urban Dictionary:

Steampunk is a subgenre of speculative fiction, usually set in an anachronistic Victorian or quasi-Victorian alternate history setting. It could be described by the slogan "What the past would look like if the future had happened sooner." It includes fiction with science fiction, fantasy or horror themes.

Based on that concept I had planned a Victorian picnic complete with costumed attendees and outdoor games. I started earlier in the season by making homemade strawberry jam (which I then forgot on the day of the picnic). I also purchased quail eggs, baby cucumbers, and beets and pickled those prior to the event. I made cute little labels for everything and then started concentrating on my costume.

To be truly accurate to steampunk it is important to identify the type of persona you want to portray; an explorer, an aristocrat, a scientist, a commoner, etc. Once you've identified your social class, you can go to work on your costume. Since I'm quite frugal, I skipped this step and just went with whatever I could pick up at Goodwill or second hand stores in the previous months. A strapless taffeta gown, a turquoise corset, a white t-shirt, etc. I already had an awesome hat that I knew would make the grade so all I had to do was find some feathers to complement the outfit. Oh yeah, and goggles. For whatever reason, goggles seem to be really big amongst steampunk'ers. In actuality they would really only be appropriate if your persona was an explorer. But not wanting to buck the trend, I checked into buying some.

Again, my frugal nature took over and after realizing how expensive they were and after watching several YouTube videos, I decided to give a try at making them myself. I went to the dollar store and picked up a couple small jars of peanut butter, cheap painters goggles, poster paint, glitter paint, clear plastic page dividers, and a box knife.

Total invested so far - $7

 I removed the peanut butter, transferring it to my waning supply in the pantry, and washed out the jar. Then I cut the inner ring from the red lid, leaving the inside exposed. I then cut the peanut butter jar down to about 2" high. I painted the goggles, google strap, peanut butter jar, and lid flat black using the paints. When everything was dry, I used my hot glue gun to adhere the peanut butter jar to the goggles. I coated the entire thing in a second coat of black paint. Hmm....it was starting to come together. I then used the peanut butter jar lid as a pattern to cut circles out of the plastic page dividers and fit those inside as my lenses. It was all started to look good but still needed something else.

I made a quick trip to the craft store and picked up antique gold Rub and Buff and a package of sprockets and gears. The Rub and Buff was exactly what I needed to doll them up and the sprockets and gears absolutely completed the look. I got lots of great compliments and many people asked where I bought my goggles. I think my total investment was around $10. Much better than the $35-50 at some of the local stores specializing in steampunk gear.

My $10 goggles.

Here are just a few of the photos taken at the picnic. I always find myself lacking the time to document my dinners so this was an exception.

Here is the menu for the day...my persona was Fiona Flabbergast
Charcuterie platter - Prosciutto, Coppa, Salami
No meal would be complete without homemade bread
(this could only have been beat by adding the strawberry jam I forgot)
And of course one must have a cheese plate at a Victorian picnic
Goat Chevre, Brie, Hilton, Smoked Bleu, Dill Havarti, Cheddar
Hands down the best thing on the table were the pickled quail eggs
Some of my costumed guests. I just love how they got into the spirit!

More costumed guests

This gent wins the prize for the most spirit. He started growing the mutton chops in April and then, using permanent hair dye, colored his hair and facial hair. He even had business cards made. Wilbur Wrong, at your service!

They're so cute!
I told this one she looked like a steampunk Lara Croft

After dinner we strolled around the park then some of us played a rousing round of bocce. It was a delightful sunny day without being too warm. 

I really felt connected to steampunk as it seems I tend to live my life in a way that meshes with the definition. I love to get back to the basics by making my own bread, pickling veggies, and making jam. It is not unheard of for me to start a component of one of my dinners weeks or even months in advance (like the original Southern Comfort served for my Southern Food dinner). Yet I obviously love living in today's technological age as evidenced by my involvement on Blogger, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Plus I think most everything just looks cooler steampunk'ed!

No comments:

Post a Comment