Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Busy week?

You know you've had a busy week when it takes three days to post the activities of the weekend before. Wheh!

Our Sunday Brunch Bunch invaded Roost at 15th and Belmont on April 21st. It's become a bit of an inside joke amongst our group about whether an establishment will take reservations or not. When you have 6-10 people dining together and the restaurant doesn't take reservations it can be a bit of a wait to be seated. Most of the group are not bothered by this. Some of the group are even anti-reservations, feeling that most establishments that offer this service tend to be more stuffy and have a dress code. To say the majority of the group are into casual dress would be an accurate statement. 

All that being said, a few of us got there early so we could visit a bit while waiting in line until Roost opened at 10:00. It's probably a good thing too, because by the time the remainder of the group arrived at the agreed time of 10:30, the restaurant was completely full.

Now on to the dining experience...

We stepped into another clean and modern dining area with limited seating at tables with another 8-10 places at the bar. There were a few things that I was a bit bothered by. They had wooden coat hooks on both sides of the room, directly above tables placed against the wall. While this was convenient for those in our party, it was not so much for anyone else wishing to hang their jacket. In fact, they would have had to reach over our heads to do just such a thing. Next, our table was backed up quite close to the bar stools. Upon leaving, I was unable to move my chair back because someone was sitting directly behind me at the bar. I ended up having to lift my legs up so I could swivel out of the side of my chair then kind of hop on one leg to get out. Grrrr...

When we started our Brunch Bunch in 2012, Candy and I decided we were going to sample Bloody Mary's at each place. So of course, when I saw a $6 BM on the menu, I had to have it.

Conclusion? It was nice and spicy and flavorful. Not the best one I've had (that goes to the Blue Pig so far), but definitely not the worst either. And for $6 I thought it was a reasonable drink. The surprise was the Creme de Menthe and soda that Kevin ordered. Surprisingly refreshing!

And I always thought Creme de Menthe was green so seeing a clear beverage added to the surprise factor. Now, let's eat!

I ordered the ham and smoked gouda omelete with arugula salad, potatoes and toast. I have to say everything was just okay. Not terrific. Not terrible. In fact, the best thing on the plate was the toast.

It was a beautiful plate of food but for $12, a bit pricey. Especially for the amount of food.

Candy ordered the braised pork which came with scallion pancake, fried eggs, salsa verde, avocado, tomatoes and sour cream. I only mentioned this because when we ordered, we agreed to split our meals and share with the other.
 
Again, a beautiful plate of food but I thought the entire dish was lacking in flavor. And again, not much bang for the buck. We all spent at least $20 (with tip) and I still felt like I needed to run through McDonald's for an egg McMuffin when we finished. 

Probably not a place I would go to again.

No comments:

Post a Comment